Practical Advice from Chief Diversity Officer at Publicis Groupe on Building a More Diverse & Inclusive Culture
Aug 18, 2020
I heard from one of our members how their organization did an amazing job responding during the social and cultural inflection point we are currently experiencing. So, I knew we needed to interview the force behind this experience - Ronnie Dickerson Stewart, U.S. Chief Diversity Officer at Publicis Groupe.
Tune in to hear her advice on starting or revamping your DIEBJ program even if you don’t have a big budget or staff. Here are some key takeaways:
- Ronnie begins with defining and acknowledging the current climate as a cultural inflection point in order to help us understand how to start, move forward, and co-conspire for change.
- Explore a variety of maturity models to recognize what your starting point is
- ID your Gaps
- If you don't know what to do next, start by capturing the emotions and listening to your employees
- Leverage your ecosystem, whether it’s peers or consultants. Look for helpers inside your organization who want to help.
- It’s a marathon, not a sprint, and speed can create bias
- Change the discussion from a business case to a long-term focus on mitigating risk and innovation to survive and thrive as a business
- Create an environment or platform for feedback loops from employees for psychological safety and empathy. Build the trust credits needed for socially-charged situations you can’t control
- Ideas on training others in the house to facilitate listening sessions
- Boiling an ocean is difficult. Take small, deliberate steps to help enhance D&I in your organization
Listen in to this insightful conversation about revamping your organization’s culture and helping change the cultural climate through small, deliberate steps for sustainable change.
If you don't have time to watch the vlog post, here is the machine-generated transcript.
Enjoy! Cindy Lu
ps. If you haven't yet signed up for the BigHR DIEB Event, you can learn more here:
If you can't find the email with the discount code for HR practitioners, email: [email protected]
Request An Invite
Make sure you sign up to request an invite to the always sold-out VIRTUAL BigHR Event the 2nd Friday each September.